The Wordie Blog
Monday, March 2, 2009Getting Back on the BikeThis is a tentative step towards getting back on the bike. I spent this weekend refactoring some of the innards of poor neglected Wordie. The results of this ongoing effort will be largely invisible, and mostly for my own benefit--some of the internals were written in such haste that now, months or years later, what's going on under the hood is a little hazy, even to me. So I'm reorganizing internals*, fixing a few longstanding bugs, and along the way hopefully improving performance, to handle the slow, steady increase in traffic Wordie continues to see. Once I've cleaned house I'll be in a much better position to start adding some new features. One small feature you can see right now is a new link to Forvo.com under each word. Forvo is sort of like Wordie--user submitted words--but it focuses on audio pronunciations, rather than, uh, whatever it is that Wordie focuses on. Click the last little square under antipodes for an example. It'll bring you to a page on Forvo where you can hear the proper Canadian pronunciation of the word. * For those who care, I'm also bolting on, after the fact, a proper test suite, having recently gotten the TDD religion. |
Archivesfrom the Wordie Widget
|